Courses @ IBC
Preparation for Ministry
This new course aims to give students the key building blocks to enable them to be better equipped to minister. Accredited as a university degree – BTh or BD.
Full details about the course can be found by downloading the PDF prospectus here.
3 months to 3 years. Details of modules can be found in the Preparation for Ministry booklet available to download here.
University Undergraduate Levels [QUB]
Diploma in Theology, Bachelor of Theology, Bachelor of Divinity (Greek and Hebrew compulsory). In addition to a detailed look at the above subjects, university courses include Philosophy of Religion, Historical Theology and a range of specialized electives from each of the core subject areas. There is also the option of a 10,000 word dissertation module on a subject approved by a relevant tutor and the University’s Institute of Theology.
University Post-graduate Levels
- The Master of Theology [QUB] is a taught degree, comprised of 4 examination modules plus a 20,000 word dissertation on a subject approved by the University’s Institute of Theology.
- The Master of Philosophy [QUB or UWL] and Doctor of Philosophy [QUB or UWL] are research degrees, the length of which are 50,000 and 80,000 words respectively. There are no taught elements. The topic of the thesis will be agreed between the student and his/her supervisor, but must be approved by the University’s Institute of Theology.
- The Master of Arts in Theology [University of Wales, Lampeter] is a course involving intensive teaching blocs, with directed reading and set written assignments.
- The Master of Ministry (MMin) [University of Wales, Lampeter] is a course involving intensive teaching blocks above those required for the MA in Theology.
- The Doctorate of Ministry (DMin) [University of Wales, Lampeter] requires a 50,000 word Research Project/Thesis above the studies required for the MMin on a topic arising from the experience and practice of ministry.
Alongside theological studies, most students take vocational studies, the precise mix being determined by course regulations and student requirements.
Vocational courses may be general, or specialize in youth, missionary or pastoral service, and include such areas as children’s work, preaching, evangelism, missionary studies, contemporary religious movements, and non-Christian religions.
Practical supervised placements whether in Ireland or overseas are a core element of the vocational courses.
|LEVEL / COURSE|
|College||Christian Service Certificate - 1 year or 2 years part-time||Certificate in Ministry Studies (Pastoral or Missionary) - 2 years||Diploma in Ministry Studies (Pastoral or Missionary) - 3 Years|
|Under-graduate [Queens University Belfast]||BD or BTh degrees with Pastoral or Missionary Studies - 3 years||DipTh - 2 Years
Optional College Certificate in Ministry Studies.
|BD or BTh degrees - 3 Years. Optional College Diploma in Ministry Studies.|
|Post-graduate [Queens University Belfast]||MTh MPhil and PhD|
|Under-graduate [University of Wales Lampeter]||Preparation for Ministry
CertTh with College Christian Service Certificate - 1 Year
|Preparation for Ministry
Dip Th with College Certificate in Ministry Studies - 2 Years
|Preparation for Ministry
BD or BTh with College Diploma in Ministry Studies - 3 Years
|Post-graduate [University of Wales, Lampeter]||MA in Theology||The Master of Ministry (MMin)
The Doctor of Ministry (DMin)